Sweden

Sweden

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Inside the Binder, Part 1: Timelines

Hello all!

This week I know I am late - I went out of town to see my sister who lives in Denmark! - but I will make sure to catch up on my posts.

The first section in my binder is titled Swedish timelines. Timelines help with overall knowledge of the region you are researching. Plus, timelines can provide answers to how a country, region, or county came into being. I have included the link and a few entries of the Swedish Timeline I use by Tim Lambert.


1448 Sweden separates from Denmark and Norway
1520 The 'Bloodbath of Stockholm', in which 82 people are executed for 'treason'.
1521 The Swedes rebel
1536 The Swedes adopt certain Lutheran practices as the Reformation slowly makes headway in Sweden
1541 The Bible is translated into Swedish
1561 The Swedes capture part of Estonia

The information above illustrates how Sweden's lands changed over time. While it is not likely that we are searching for Swedish records this far back, we can still use this information as we analyze Sweden's history. A section for a basic historical timeline is helpful for research and even more in-depth timelines per county or region would also be useful.

3 comments:

  1. Lucky girl to get to travel. I also have ancestors from both Denmark and Sweden. I will be anxiously watching and learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I just realize that I know nothing about Sweedish history! This is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea! (and by the way, one of your I's in you title "Timeline" is capitalized)

    ReplyDelete